The Ontario Ministry of Tourism Culture and Sport has directed that the Ontario Hockey Federation (OHF) and Hockey Canada (HC) implement Rowan’s Law effective July 1, 2019.
The intention of Rowan's Law is to create awareness of concussion, change the culture regarding concussion and provide safe sport participation.
Rowan’s Law requires that effective after July 1, 2019 every player (parent if player is under age 18), team official (all bench staff) and on-ice official must read and acknowledge this law in order to register / participate in organized sport.
York Mills Hockey Club, as a member of the OHF and GTHL, is obligated to comply with this law and adopt the method of administration, as directed by the Ontario Government, to implement Rowan’s Law.
Players (any age, house league / select / rep), Team Officials (bench staff - house league / select / rep) and On-Ice officials of YMHC must read, sign and file their acknowledgement of this law with YMHC.
YMHC respectfully asks that you complete this task now as we must load this acknowledgement against your Hockey Canada profile before the start of the season.
In order to participate with YMHC:
- Players (parents of players whose child is age 18 and under) must read the OHF Concussion Code of Conduct and the appropriate Concussion Awareness Resource
- Complete an acknowledgement on behalf of EACH and EVERY child participating in YMHC
- email the properly completed acknowledgement(s) to the address noted below
OHF Rowan’s Law Acknowledgement Form
To view the OHF Concussion Code of Conduct and the appropriate Concussion Awareness Resource and print the OHF Rowan’s Law Acknowledgement Form – please click here
In the limited space provided on the acknowledgement form:
- Please clearly print the full and proper name of the player / bench staff and indicate the date of birth; complete one acknowledgement per child / bench staff
- Sign and date the form
- do not put more than one player or bench staff acknowledgement on the same PDF or jpeg (see below)
- one acknowledgement must be completed separately for each player and / or bench staff
Once you have printed, read and signed the acknowledgement, please email the acknowledgement form in PDF or jpeg format to YMHC at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Players: Subject of email: "Player: Rowan's Acknowledgement" , "last name_first name". Please name the attached PDF or jpeg of the acknowledgement as follows" last name _first name. Attachments that are not properly named will not be accepted. Do not put more than 1 acknowledgement on the same PDF or jpeg.
Bench Staff (house league coach or assistant coach): Subject of email" "Bench Staff: Rowan's Acknowledgement" , "last name_first name". Please name the attached PDF or jpeg of the acknowledgement as follows" last name_first name. Attachments that are not properly named will not be accepted. Do not put more than 1 acknowledgement on the same PDF or jpeg.
OHF directive June 18, 2019 – please click here